Sunday, March 2, 2014

Thanksgiving at my Grandmothers

       From the first 16 years of my life we would spend thanksgiving at my Grandmas house. We would have turkey and a small ham steak for my sister who refused to eat the bird. But what is always in my mind about those annual meals is the one side dish that I have been unable to replicate and that was a baked broccoli cheddar rice casserole. It was my favorite dish and reminds me of happy times. Now we spend thanksgiving at my aunt’s house and everything is pretty much the same except for that casserole.


      Rituals for this dinner are really only saying grace before eating. The one dish that is essential to the entire process is of course the bird. What would Thanksgiving be without a turkey? The one dish I absolutely dread is the boiled turnip that my aunt makes for her and my mom, it stinks up the whole kitchen. My favorite tradition that we have done for as long as I can remember is that after dessert we play board games.  

No comments:

Post a Comment