Sunday, March 2, 2014

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve is one of the few days a year when instead of taking a plate of food and going to our rooms, my relatives all gather in the living room to eat dinner together. In recent years I create a mock movie theatre in the living room with the help of Netflix. I sit with my siblings and nephews watching stand up comedy while my mother and older sisters prepare dinner. At this point holiday dinners are quite predictable in my household. The typical dinner consists of roasted chicken or turkey, Dominican potato salad (white potatoes, hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise, beats, and carrots), white rice, and platanos maduro (fried ripe plantains). Our ritual is a simple one but I figure its a lasting tradition because of the simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment