Sunday, February 16, 2014

Cold Storage

The refrigerator remains one of the most essential items in anyone's home. It is one of the sources of livelihood for a family. This is no different from the experience I had with my family's refrigerator. I really have never been one for eating a full breakfast, it consisted of only cereal and milk. Usually on weekends, I would find myself taking out the bacon and eggs, since I had time to prepare the food. These all went so well with a glass of orange juice. Eating a brown bag lunch at school never was my favorite, it usually consisted of a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich, A Marsh mellow Fluff and Nutella sandwich or deli meats, if they happened to be in the fridge. It also included applesauce, some fruit or vegetables (carrots, celery, apples or oranges), a bag of chips and chocolate milk. When I got home, I needed that after school snack. Even before I would drop my backpack, I made a beeline for the refrigerator. I wanted something quick, that required no preparation. A few slices of mozzarella cheese or string cheese satisfied my appetite, but finding the occasional White Castle microwaveable cheeseburgers was a delight, couple with a carbonated soda pop. Food really was never an incentive to me, however my parents still took precautions. The freezer was ever so elusive, just out of reach for my small arms. The stepladder solved this problem. The ice cream was mine! Mixed vegetables or those yucky lima beans were left undisturbed at the back of the freezer. I considered the only use for those as the 'ice packs.' As my palate has changed, they really aren't that terrible, but I still don't eat string beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment